Weber County was named by early trapper John Weber. The spine of the Wasatch Mountains defines the East sides of the county, and it goes all the way out to the Great Salt Lake. The mountains & flat lands are laced with rivers. The largest city is Ogden, named after the trapper Peter Skene Ogden.
The Shoshone & Ute Native Americans were the main tribes living in the area, and then in the 1800's mountain men entered the area. The mountain men trapped beavers and traded with the Native Americans. The first permiment settlement was in 1843 when Miles Goodyear, a horse trainer/trapper, built a fort and trading post near where the Weber & Ogden rivers meet. This fort was called Fort Buenaventura. He then sold the fort to James Brown for $1,950 in gold coins, and then it was known as Brown's Fort, or Brownsville. In 3 years there was 1,141 residence & the name was changed to Ogden & the county was designated.
When the Transcontinental Railroad in Ogden, also known as Junction City, was completed in 1869 the population accelerated and many industries were established. It again had a growth spike around WWII when Defense Depot Ogden and Hill Air Force Base was built, who continue to employ many residence in the county. The was also put an increase in demand on the railroad tranportation, having a lot of trains passing through Union Station in 1944.
Now, Weber County has Weber State University, who has over 18,000 students yearly. They also have an IRS Service Center, Mckay-Dee Hospital, a dinosaur park, lakes and mountains for boating, skiing, and snowboarding. Union Station is now a museum for firearms, cars, railroads, & more.
Shown on Map:
Not Shown on Map: